Archpriest Chad Hatfield is the first Chancellor of St. Vladimir’s Seminary. The SVOTS Board of Trustees, during the most recent Dean’s search, saw the need for a revision of the seminary’s governance model. Fr. Chad came to SVOTS from St. Herman Seminary in Alaska, where he was serving as the Dean. He presently serves as a member of the Metropolitan Council of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA).
As Chancellor he works closely with Archpriest John Behr, the Dean, and the Executive Chair of the SVOTS Board, Mr. Alex Machaskee. Together they use a unique conciliar design to engage the seminary faculty and staff in serving the needs of everyone in the seminary community and the wider Orthodox Church. His experience in various pastoral, teaching and administrative roles, spread over some 30 years of ordained ministry, are now blended into the Chancellor’s ministry at SVOTS.
His wife, Matushka Thekla, is excited to be part of seminary life where she is the Coordinator for the St. Juliana Society . An iconographer and graphic designer, she is currently finishing her certification as a botanical illustrator. They are the parents of Jason, who is married to Kasey, and who are the parents of Ryan, Morgan, and Braedon Richard. They live in Austin, Texas where Jason is a physician. Sean is the youngest Hatfield son, married to Maggie, and the couple lives in Wichita, Kansas, where Sean practices law.
Fr. Chad was ordained to the diaconate and the priesthood by His Grace, Bishop Basil of Wichita.
- 1975 Southwestern College. Bachelor of Arts, History & Secondary Education
- 1978 Nashotah House Seminary Master of Divinity
- 1988 Nashotah House Seminary Master of Sacred Theology (STM). Thesis: “Baptism, Chrismation, Eucharist: Christian Initiation, A Recovery of the Primitive Pattern”.
- 2001 Doctor of Ministry, Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. Thesis: “An Examination of the Pastoral Rites for Ministry to the Sick as Found in the Orthodox Christian Euchologia”.
- The Fund Raising School, Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University:
2003 Principles and Techniques of Fundraising
2004 Developing Major Gifts
2005 Preparing Successful Grant Proposals
2008 Purposeful Boards, Powerful Fundraising
- 2008 Doctor of Divinity (honoris causa), Nashotah House
- We Stand at the Door and Knock - Again magazine, Vol. 17 No 4, December 1994.
- One Step Too Far: Facing up to the Collapse of Liberal Christianity - Again magazine, Vol. 19 No. 3, September/October 1996.
- Anglican Options: Rome or Constantinople?
- From Alaska to Guatemala – OCMC Mission Magazine, Vol. 20, No 2, Fall 2004.
- From Masks to Icons – Presented for the Center for Ethics and Religion, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana, September 2004.
- Seminarians and Substance Abuse Training – Presented at the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, Columbia University, New York, September 2005.
- Why Would an Episcopalian Want to Become Orthodox? – Orthodox TV and Orthodox Christian Sermons, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Sin, Sickness and Salvation – Christian Bioethics, Vol. 12, No. 2, August 2006.
- St. Tikhon and Bp. Charles Chapman Grafton - St. Tikhon's Commemoration Series, St. Tikhon's Seminary, 2007
- Models for American Orthodox Missiology, Orthodox Education Day SVS, 2008
- Orthodox Christian Cassettes, Springdale, Arkansas, 1995 & 1998.
- Ancient Faith Radio, Chesterton, Indiana, 2005 & 2007.
- OCN – Come Receive the Light, Florida, 2005 & 2008.
- Voices From St. Vladimir’s Seminary – Ancient Faith Radio, weekly podcast, 2008.
- 1997 Religion Instructor, Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kansas.
- 2002–2007 – Dean of St. Herman’s Seminary, Kodiak, Alaska.
- 2003–2007 – Dean of the Kodiak Deanery, Diocese of Alaska.
- 2007–Present – SVOTS Board of Trustees
- 2009–Present –Missions institute Board, Holy Cross, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2010–Present – SVOTS Missiology Instructor
- 2007 Chancellor and CEO of St Vladimir's Seminary
- 2005 Member, Editorial Advisory Board for Christian Bioethics.
- 2005 Member, OCA Board of Theological Education.
- 2003 Vice-President of the Orthodox Christian Mission Center.
- 2008 Ex-officio member of the St Herman Seminary Board.
- 16 years of ministry in the Episcopal Church as parish priest, school chaplain, missionary in South Africa and as cathedral dean.
- 1994 – 2002 Founding Pastor of All Saints Orthodox Church, Salina, Kansas.
- 1995 – 2002 OCF Spiritual Advisor for Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas.
- 1995 – 2010 – Board Member of the Orthodox Christian Mission Center, St. Augustine, Florida.
- 1996-1998 – Book Review Editor, The Word magazine.
- 1996-2000 – SW Region Antiochian Archdiocese FORUM Spiritual Advisor.
- 1999 – 2002 – Priest-in-charge, St. Mary Magdalene Mission, Manhattan, Kansas.
- 2000 – 2001 – SW Region Antiochian Women Spirtual Advisor
- 2001 & 2004 – OCMC Team Leader to Guatemala.
- 2002 – 2007 – Member, Department of Evangelism OCA.
- 2006 – 2007 – Co-Chair, OCA Department of Evangelism.
- 2002 – 2007 – Dean of St. Herman’s Seminary, Kodiak, Alaska.
- 2003 – 2007 – Dean of the Kodiak Deanery, Diocese of Alaska.
- 2003 – 2007 – Member, Diocesan Council, Diocese of Alaska.
- 2005 – 2007 – Member of the Kodiak College Advisory Council.
- 2007 – Present – SVOTS Board of Trustees
- 2009 – Present – Missions Institute Board, Holy Cross, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2010 – Present – SVOTS Missiology Instructor