The Father Alexander Schmemann Professor of Liturgical Theology
- B.A., Trinity College, Hartford, CT, 1972 (Honors, Phi Beta Kappa)
- M.Div., St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 1975 (magna cum laude)
- Ph.D., University of Notre Dame, 1987
- Institut Saint-Serge, Paris, France, Doctorat honoris causa, 2013
- The Service of the Anointing of the Sick (Crestwood: SVS Press, 2009).
- Russia, Ritual, and Reform: The Liturgical Reforms of Nikon in the 17th Century (Crestwood: SVS Press, 1991).
- St Germanus of Constantinople, On the Divine Liturgy, translation, introduction and commentary (Crestwood: SVS Press, 1984); Russian translation: Sv. German Konstantinopol'skii, Skazanie o Tserkvi i rassmotrenie tainstv (Moscow: Martis, 1995); Serbian translation: Sabornost 6/3-4 (2000), 67-13.
- Translation from the French of The Incarnate God: The Feasts of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, 2 vols., ed. Catherine Aslanoff (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 1995).
- Translation from the French of Olivier Clément, Conversations with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 1997).
- The Anointing of the Sick, Orthodox Liturgy Series 1 (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2009). Also published in Romanian translation: Taina Sfântului Maslu – ungerea bolnavilor, traducere, prefaţă şi note Cezar Login (Cluj-Napoca: Editura Renaşterea, 2011).
- The Service of the Anointing of the Sick, editor and translator (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2009).
- Translation from the French of Thomas Pott, Byzantine Liturgical Reform: A Study of Liturgical Change in the Byzantine Tradition, Orthodox Liturgy Series 2 (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2010).
- Translation from the French of Job Getcha, The Typikon Decoded, Orthodox Liturgy Series 3 (Yonkers, NY: SVS Press, 2012).
- “Towards a Baptismal Ecclesiology,” in Hans-Jürgen Feulner, ed., Liturgies in East and West. Ecumenical Relevance of Early Liturgical Developments. Acts of the International Symposium Vindobonense I, Vienna, November 17-29, 2007, Ősterreichische Studien zur Liturgiewissenschaft und Sakramententheologie, Bd. 6 (Vienna: LIT-Verlag, 2013) 285-94.
- “Ethnophyletism, Autocephaly, and National Churches – A Theological Approach and Ecclesiological Implications,” St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 57 (2013) 381-94.
- “Fr John Meyendorff and the Autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in America,” St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 56 (2012) 335-52.
- “’Discerner le Corps du Christ’. Réactions d’un orthodoxe au document du Comité mixte catholique luthéro-réformé,” Istina 57 (2012) 227-36.
- “Ikonen – liturgisk konst och andlig verklighet,” in Swedish (“Icons – Liturgical Art and Spiritual Reality”) in Lars Gedmar, ed, Ikonen – närvaro och källa (Lund: Sekel, 2011), 105-25.
- “Fr Schmemann’s Liturgical Legacy in America,” St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 53 (2009) 319- 30. French translation: “L’héritage liturgique du père Alexandre Schmemann en Amérique,” in La joie du Royaume. Actes du colloque international L’héritage du père Alexandre Schmemann. Paris, 11-14 décembre 2008 (Paris: YMCA-Press, 2012), 185-96.
- “A Response to Archimandrite Elpidophoros Lambridianis,” St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 54 (2010) 441-47.
- "Towards Mutual recognition of Baptism," in Baptism Today: Understanding, Practice, Ecumenical Implications (Faith and Order Paper No. 207)(Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2008), 195-206.
- "Primacy in a United Church," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 52 (2008) 223-229. Paper presented at the 73rd meeting of the North-American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation, November 2007.
- "The Priesthood of the Laity," in A. Bezzerides, Christ at Work: Orthodox Christian Perspectives on Vocation (Brookline, MA: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2006), 209-227. Excerpt reprinted in Again: The Ancient Christian Faith Today 28/3 (2006) 10-13
- "Rites funeraires orthodoxes," in La mort et la resurrection dans la tradition orthodoxe (Actes du troisieme colloque de theologie orthodoxe de l'Universite de Sherbrooke) (Sherbrooke, QC: Sherbrooke University, 2004) 71-81
- "Scriptural Approach to Death," in La mort et la resurrection dans la tradition orthodoxe (Actes du troisieme colloque de theologie orthodoxe de l'Universite de Sherbrooke) (Sherbrooke, QC: Sherbrooke University, 2004) 17-26
- "Christian Perspectives on Worship," in T. Best and D. Heller, eds., Worship Today: Understanding, Practice, Ecumenical Implications (Faith and Order Paper No. 194) (Geneva: WCC Publications, 2004) 282-297
- "Offering 'Your Own of Your Own': Stewardship in the Liturgy," in Anthony Scott, ed., Good and Faithful Servant: Stewardship in the Orthodox Church (Crestwood, NY: SVS Press, 2003), 153-164
- "Liturgical Life in the Parish: Present and Future Realities," in A. Vrame, ed., The Orthodox Parish in America (Brookline: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2003), 143-153
- "Ecumenical Prayer: An Orthodox Perspective," The Ecumenical Review 54 (2002), 28-32.
- "Liturgical Translations of the Orthodox Church in America," Logos: A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies 41-42 (2000-2001), 59-82.
- "The People of God at Prayer: An Interview with Gordon Lathrop, Kevin Seasoltz, and Paul Meyendorff," Crosspoint 13/2 (2000), 4-10; 67-70.
- "He Was Known to Them in the Breaking of Bread" (October 7, 2000); Serbian translation: Sabornost 6/3-4 (2000), 139-141.
- "Response to 'Evangelization, Proselytism, and Common Witness," Pneuma: The Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies 21/1 (1999), 70-72.
- "The Byzantine Liturgy: An Introduction," in Prism, VI:4 (1997) 1-2.
- "A Taste of Glory," in Christian History, Issue 54, XVI:2 (1997) 40-41.
- "Origins of the Eastern Liturgies," in St Nersess Theological Review, I:2 (1996) 213-221.
- "Russian Liturgical Worship" (English and Russian), in Vladimir Morosan, ed., Monuments of Russian Sacred Music, Series II, vols. 1/2/3: Peter Tchaikovsky, The Complete Sacred Choral Works (Madison, CT: Musica Russica, 1996), xvii-xxxix.
- "The Liturgical Path of Orthodoxy in America in the 20th Century: Past, Present, and Future," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 40 (1996) 43-64.
- "Liturgicheskii Put' Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi v Amerike v XX v.," Pravoslavnaia Obshchina 1 (19) 1994, 105-155.
- "Svet s zapada: Liturgicheskii put' pravoslaviia v Amerike v XX veke," Nezavisimaia Gazeta [Moscow, Russia], Thursday, June 16, 1994, p 5.
- "Response," to Wade Clarke Roof's "The Changing American Religious Landscape: Implications for Ritual," Proceedings of the North American Academy of Liturgy, 1994 Annual Meeting, 28-30.
- "Orthodox Churches Celebrate All Saints," in Liturgy: All Saints Among the Churches = Liturgy 12/2 (1994) 16-20.
- "The Anointing of the Sick: Some Pastoral Considerations," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 35 (1991) 241-255.
- "Liturgy," Dictionary of the Ecumenical Movement (Geneva: WCC Publications, 1991), 623-626.
- "Alexander Schmemann: Theologian of the Orthodox Liturgy," in How Firm a Foundation: Leaders of the Liturgical Movement (Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 1990), 300-306.
- "Sacramental Theology and Pastoral Care (Orthodox)," Dictionary of Pastoral Care and Counseling (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1990), 1097-98.
- "Reflections on Russian Liturgy: A Retrospective on the Occasion of the Millennium," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 33 (1989), 21-34.
- "The Orthodox Practice of Penance," Studia Liturgica 18 (1988) 108-111 (Text of paper presented at Societas Liturgica Assembly, Brixen, Italy, in August 1987).
- "Eastern Liturgical Theology to 1150," World Spirituality, an Encyclopedic History of the Religious Quest: Christian Spirituality 1, Origins to the Twelfth Century (New York: Crossroad, 1985), pp 350-363.
- "The Liturgical Reforms of Peter Moghila, A New Look," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 29 (1985) 101-114; Ukranian translation: "Liturgichni Reformi Petra Mogili: Novii Pogliad," Vira i Kultura/Faith and Culture 11 (Winnipeg: St Andrew's College, 1997-1998), 71-86; also in P. Moghila: Bogoslov, Tserkovnii i Kulturnii Diiach (Kiev: "DNIPRO," 1997), 61-73.
- Numerous book reviews, chiefly in Worship and St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly.
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 2002-2007.
- Fr Alexander Schmemann Professor of Liturgical Theology, St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary, 1997-present (Instructor, 1987-1988; Assistant Professor, 1987-1991; Associate Professor, 1991-1997).
- Visiting Professor, Yale Divinity School, Fall 1997.
- Visiting Professor, Graduate Program in Liturgy, University of Notre Dame, Spring 1999 (Visiting Associate Professor, Summer 1991, Spring 1993, 1995, 1997).
- Adjunct Professor, Drew University, Doctoral Program in Liturgical Studies, 1989-present.
- Editor, St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly, 1996-2001, 2007-present.
- Editor, Orthodox Liturgy Series, St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2009-present.
- Associate Editor, St Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1994-1996.
Church & Professional Activities:
- Department of Worship, Orthodox Church in America, co-chairman, 1989-2004.
- Office of Interchurch Relations and Ecumenical Witness, Orthodox Church in America, 2000-present.
- North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation, 2003-present.
- St Irenaeus Orthodox-Catholic Working group, 2004-present
- Pre-Conciliar Commission, Orthodox Church in America, 9th All-American Council (St Louis, 1985), 10th All-American Council (Miami, 1992), 11th All-American Council (Chicago, 1995), 12th All-American Council (Pittsburgh, 1999), 13th All-American Council (Orlando, 2002), Consultant, 14th All-American Council (Toronto, 2005), 15th All-American Council (Pittsburgh, 2008).
- Metropolitan Council, At-large delegate, Orthodox Church in America, 1992-1999; At-large alternate, 2008-present.
- Faith and Order Commission, National Council of Churches, 1992-2003; Chairman, 1996-1999; Co-Chair, 2000-2003; Executive Committee, 1992-2003.
- National Council of Churches, Executive Board, 1996-2003.
- Faith and Order Commission, World Council of Churches, 2003-present; Standing Commission, 2003-2006.
- Participant in consultations sponsored by the World Council of Churches Faith and Order Commission, Prague (June 2000), Faverges, France (October 2001), Vienna (April 2004). Member of drafting groups for Faith and Order statements on Christian Anthropology, (2005) and the Mutual Recognition of Baptism (2005).
- Worship Committee, 8th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches (Harare, Zimbabwe, 1998), 1994-1998.
- Orthodox Theological Society of America, Secretary, 1999; Vice-president, 1999-2001; President, 2001-2003.
- North American Academy of Liturgy, member of Editorial Board of the Proceedings of the North American Academy of Liturgy, 1995-2008.
- Societas Liturgica.
- Society for Oriental Liturgy